Sunday, March 20, 2022

What's in a Muse? (Philosophy)

 Hello everyone and welcome back to the blog! I wanted to start a series of conversational posts that can help to encourage people to share, comment and just spread more of the conversation surrounding writing. Today is the first of these topics and moreover it is the first slightly new Philosophical venture for me since 2020, so that is of course fantastic.

First and foremost of course we need to start with a question (you know...in the Socratic way) and that question is "What is a Muse?" before we can figure out what it contains, we must first define it. Miriam-Webster defines Muse as "To become absorbed in thought", "A Source of Inspiration" as well as the classical/historical definition of "The 9 sister goddesses in Greek mythology presiding over the arts and sciences". This of course if just a standard definition, but it is a good starting place to ask ourselves whether or not we agree with the first two listed definitions (one is just about Greek myth which is obviously nothing more than stories)? 

Personally, I view a Muse as a hobby that brings one a sense of belonging and peace of mind. There are always hobbies that anyone can do that are fun or relaxing, but do not bring with it the sense of fulfillment that a muse otherwise would. A muse as well could also be something that you not only enjoy and feel a sense of purpose, but it is also something that you naturally find yourself wanting to learn more about and not tiring or getting board of it easily. You can still pick up and put down your muse as you please, but in a way I feel that a muse just clicks with you as a person and you will know whether or not you have a hobby or a muse on your hand simply by seeing how things just naturally flow when you are "in the zone".

Writing for me is that muse. I really feel in the zone when I get an idea and just go with it (this post for instance), whereas my other large hobby, gaming, is just something fun that I like to do and I do really enjoy it, but it does not give me the same feeling of control over the words on the page and the power of typing away and finally getting your thoughts to come into existence in the world (I am no game developer). That is power and that is a muse, at least in my opinion.

What do you all think? I am curious so let me know in the comments below a few things: what do you find is the true definition of a muse to you and also what, based on your definition is your personal muse? Tell me what you like about your muse as well in the comments down below!

Thank you for reading and see you all tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Site Coming

 Hello everyone and welcome back to the blog!  This is the final post on this site since Blogger sites are rather hard to share all over the...